Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Thing #8...

Alright, I'm seein' if this'll woik:

http://www.bloglines.com/public/jdub5248

This link is to my very own bloglines account. I subscribed to more things than I'll ever actually read simply 'cause I could. Personally, I am not hooked on any particular news sources or blogs; the only feeds that I subscribed to that I might visit on a regular basis are YALSA, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and CNN, and in the case of the latter I'll sometimes go to MSNBC, NPR, Reuters, a foreign news site, etc. just to mix thangs up & get a different perspective. Apart from work use, I don't really have a routine approach to the web; I tend to use it to look up whatever has caught my fancy at any given time, or for email. I don't really have

That being said, I guess this sort of thing is a useful tool (although, for me, the same sort of purpose could be served by a "Favorites" folder in my browser). I could see RSS being used in a way similar to a listserv, where participants could post to a forum and one could be notified of new posts via RSS, with the advantage of not delivering stupid amounts of email to your account. In a sense, also, this kind of functionality offers another level of organization to the web, but, unlike portals or pages of links, allows the user to impose their own order web content, which of course seems to be the way things are going in terms of interactivity...

No comments: