Wednesday, October 31, 2007

23 Skidoo...Yahoooo!

*Whew*- just under the wire.

Well, the 23 nasties from the Dungeon Dimensions were, in the end, no match for Cohen's bibliographic broadsword and L-Space skillery. 'Twas an illuminating journey to be sure, full of perils and pitfalls but opening onto new vistas of electronic eclecticism...

Alas, certain encounters were more intriguing than others. Worthy of note were Flickr and associated mashups, RSS, LibraryThing, wikis and the various online productivity tools. And, of course, YouTube, which is, like, totally, uh, tubular.

In the "Yeah, Whatever" category would be Rollyo (a neat idea, but one whose functionality needs development), Del.icio.us (which, apart from the ability to store one's bookmarks online, I found mostly us.ele.ss), Technorati (*Blech*-norati)and, sadly, eBooks.

I can't say that this program assisted my lifelong learning goals so much as provided a means for me to indulge them. A lot of this stuff I was already familiar with, but the program gave me an opportunity to check them out in greater depth than before, if nothing else because it allowed me the time to do so. By so doing, the experience gave me a clearer conception of the direction that the Web is headed and a deeper appreciation of the broader implications of that development. It gave me a lot of things to think about, which is cool.

I think the program works well the way it is. By including the blogging element, there is a sense of not just checking this new stuff out but actually participating in it, and I think there's a good balance of leisurely exploration and incentive to finish by imposing a deadline. I thoroughly enjoyed this trip, and would like to proceed further as my limited time allows.

Verily. Forsooth.

2 comments:

Blogteam said...

Congrats on slaying the demon things! Blog on.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Plotter, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://plotter-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.