Saturday, October 6, 2007

Thing 12- Like a Rollyo Stone

"You can roll a Rollyo to your pal/it's chocolate covered caramel..."

Hmm, catchy. Rollyo is indeed a cool tool, in principle anyway; I had a bit of trouble getting it to work properly at first. My first attempt was a searchroll that would let me enter a title and simultaneously search YPL's catalog, Amazon, B&N and BIP. Alas, the Rollmaster would not search the catalog or BIP- likely due to the database-oriented structure of these sites. No prob with Amazon and B&N. While that limited my interest in the tool, I figgered I'd give it another shot, and made a searchroll for guitar tablature (with the witty name of Tabby). This worked, but then I realized that most of the sites that I had in the searchroll operated by searching other sites for tab, which in turn searched other sites, etc. (the guitar tab community is somewhat insular). So I reached the conclusion that such a searchroll was kinda, uh, redundant.

So, I finally settled for concocting a used book roll. Though hardly the height of creativity, I thought, "Well, Cohen, you read a lot of weird crap that's hard to find new, so maybe this thing will come in useful!" You can see the results of my mind-numbing labor on the right.

'Nuff said.

No comments: