Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Thing 22: NetLibrary & such

Well, can't say I'm finding NetLibrary to be of much use. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but the only fiction I can pull up is older; apart from that, I keep getting nonfiction stuff that has the author's name in the description, regardles of how I narrow the search. Weird, and I can't say I'd ever use it- I'm not a huge fan of eBooks anyway. However, I can certainly see them as being useful for high-demand titles.

As for audio books, I'll be honest and admit that I've never listened to one all the way through (but I did listen to part of a Jim Dale Harry Potter book just to see what the hullaballoo was all about). When I have listening time, it's music fer me. When I'm in my car, I either put music on or just think. I have enough information sloshing around in my head as it is, and the idea of hearing someone else's voice reading to me when I could be ROCKING or just zoning out strikes me as a bummer.

Nontheless, these media are important for libraries- even if I don't like a particular media, there are many who do and we gotta give it to them, however reluctantly. Maybe, just maybe, in the spirit of new tech, when I get my MP3 player I'll give one a try.

Maybe.

1 comment:

Barbrarian said...

Just thought I'd insert a little reminder here that some people can't read text because of failing eyesight, illiteracy, inability to hold a book, pre-readers, etc. so for these people audiobooks are wonderful.